Make Us Your Puerto Rico Homepage!

Welcome to PuertoRicans.com

Bookmark and Share

Welcome to the town of

CIDRA , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Cidreños
Patron:
Nuestra Señora del Carmen

The town of CIDRA in Puerto Rico was founded in 1809 .
Estimated population as of 2006 is 47,294 .
The zipcode is 00739

Housing units : 14267
Area in square miles
Total area
36.51
Water area
0.42
Land area
36.09
Density per square mile of land area
Population
1,184.50
Housing units
395.3

 

The Wards (Barrios) are:

Arenas, Bayamón, Beatriz, Ceiba, Monte Llano, Rabanal, Rincón, Río Abajo, Salto, Sud, Toita.

Location of CIDRA in the Map of Puerto Rico

Town Information

Cidra, (SEE-drah) is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the central region of the island, north of Cayey; south of Comerío and Aguas Buenas; east of Aibonito; and west of Caguas. Cidra is spread over 11 wards and Cidra Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). Cidra is known as La Ciudad de la Eterna Primavera (City of Eternal Spring). Cidra is the home of "La Paloma Sabanera" , the only bird in Puerto Rico with blue eyes. It is a protective specie as it is classified in danger of extinction.

Town History

Cidra was founded in 1809. [edit] Flag The Municipal Seal shines on the flag uniting all three stripes, and the whole is ended with yellow fringes. The green evokes the landscape which is green throughout the year and which covers all the land with an immense variety of colored flowers. It is the reason why the town is called "Town Of The Eternal Spring". The gold color refers to the richness of its fruits and hydrography as well as the spiritual wealth of the region and its citizenship. The brown alludes to the Virgin Carmen, patron of the cidreños, and to the Savannah Dove, which is a unique species in the world that has its habitat in this municipality. [edit] Coat of Arms Over the red band it has a gold "cidra" and a cornucopia with its fruit in natural color, which alludes that Cidra is one of the mayor producer of fruit of the Island. In the superior right is placed a scapulary that evokes the Virgin Carmen, patron of the town, and a black bishop hat that alludes to San Juan Nepomuceno, bishop and martyr. In the left inferior part, on a blue bottom, is locatd a brown Savannah Dove which nests in the Cidra area. This dove flies over a mountain of three tips, which indicates the location of the municipality in the Central Mountain Range. The blue and silver waves symbolize the aquatic wealth of Cidra. All this is capped by a three-tower crown.

Open tab links in browser window instead.

Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com