to the town of
PONCE , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Nuestra Señora de la Guadalupe
The town of PONCE in Puerto Rico was founded in 1692
Housing units : 66471
Estimated population as of 2006 is 181,267
The zipcode is 00731
|Area in square miles
|Density per square mile of land area
The Wards (Barrios) are:
Anón, Bucaná, Canas, Capitanejo, Cerrrillo, Coto Laurel, Guaraguao, Machuelo Arriba, Magueyes, Maragüez, Marueño, Monte Llano, Portugués, Quebrada Limón, Real, San Patricio, Tibes y Vayas. Canas Urbano, Machuelo Abajo, Magueyes Urbano, Playa, Portugués Urbano, San Antón y Sabanetas; los barrios Primero, Segundo, Tercero, Cuarto, Quinto y Sexto.
Location of PONCE
in the Map of Puerto Rico
The Autonomous Municipality of Ponce (PON-sai), known simply as Ponce, is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the Southern Coastal Plain region of the island, south of Adjuntas, Utuado and Jayuya; east of Peñuelas; and west of Juana Díaz. It has a total of 19 wards, including the historic Ponce Pueblo (the downtown area of the city).
Ponce, the second largest city in Puerto Rico outside of the San Juan metropolitan area, is named after Juan Ponce de León y Loayza, the grandson of Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León. It is located a few miles from the Caribbean coastline of the island. Ponce is often referred to as La Perla del Sur (The Pearl of the South) and La Ciudad Señorial de Puerto Rico (Majestic city of Puerto Rico).
Ponce, nicknamed Ciudad de los leones (City of the Lions) after Ponce de León, Ponce is also called "La Perla del Sur" (The Pearl of the South), has one of Puerto Rico's richest histories, dating back to the 17th century.
Flag and coat of arms
In 1692 Juan Ponce de León y Loayza (Juan Ponce de León's great-grandson) obtained a royal permit (cédula real) to formalize the founding of a hamlet around what was a small chapel at the time, raised and dedicated in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The hamlet was declared a villa in 1848, and obtained its city charter in 1877.
The coat of arms of Ponce cotains a red and black coloured shield. There is a five tower gold crown that indicates that Ponce is a city by royal decree. As an exterior frame to shield, there is a sugar cane plant on the right of the shield, and to the left a coffee tree branch.
The shield of Ponce is divided by a diagonal line that crosses straight from the superior end to the left inferior end. In this divided field is the color red (for the fire that almost destroy the city), that covers the superior right portion and the color black (for the ashes after that fire). On that black and red background is a yellow lion with black mane, walking towards the left of the shield, facing right of the shield. The lion is on a bridge, meaning that you must cross a river to enter the city by any region. The shield is bordered by a coffee plant branch and a sugar cane plant, in which the early economy of the city was based.
 Ponce's elite
A strong influx of immigrants from Cataluña, the Balearic Islands and other regions of eastern Spain, as well as from the United Kingdom (one of Vanna White's ancestors was mayor of the city once), Germany and France, as well as wealthy Spaniards who fled from the independence revolts in Cuba, Colombia and Venezuela assured the city's progress. Some of these immigrants made considerable fortunes in coffee, corn and sugar cane harvesting, rum production, banking and finance, the importing of industrial machinery, iron foundries and other enterprises. At a given time during the late 19th century, Ponce had more inhabitants and its many financial institutions were better capitalized than those of Puerto Rico's capital city, San Juan.
 The Big Ponce Fire of 1883
In 1883, Ponce was ravaged by an enormous fire. The fire threatened to destroy much of the south coast, but thanks to the firemen of Ponce (who operated from Ponce's Parque de Bombas fire station) Ponce and the south were saved. The Parque de Bombas fire station in the central plaza has since become a museum and tourist attraction. The station continued serving the Ponce community until 1990, when it was closed and the building's activities were entirely dedicated to a museum, which is still open to the general public.
 The Ponce Massacre
In 1937, Ponce was the scene of an incident dubbed the "Ponce Massacre" in which many unarmed Nationalist protesters, peacefully celebrating the 64th Anniversary of the Abolition of Slavery, were fatally shot by police.
Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com