to the town of
VEGA BAJA , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Nuestra Señora Del Rosario
The town of VEGA BAJA in Puerto Rico was founded in 1776
Housing units : 21990
Estimated population as of 2006 is 64,379
The zipcode is 00693
|Area in square miles
|Density per square mile of land area
The Wards (Barrios) are:
Algarrobo, Almirante Norte, Almirante Sur, Cabo Caribe, Ceiba, Cibuco, Puerto Nuevo, Pugnado Adentro, Pugnado Afuera, Quebrada Arenas, Río Abajo, Río Arriba y Yeguada.
Location of VEGA BAJA
in the Map of Puerto Rico
Vega Baja (VAI-gah BAH-hah) is a municipality in north central Puerto Rico located in northern coast, north of Morovis; east of Manatí; and west of Vega Alta. Vega Baja is spread over 13 wards and Vega Baja Pueblo
Vega Baja was founded in October 3, 1776 by Antonio Viera, with the name of "Vega-baxa del Naranjal de Nuestra Señora del Rosario".
"Cibuco", name of one of the rivers that carve its fertile lands, is a variation of the name "Sebuco", a chief or "Cacique" Taino indian of the region. These "cells" of Taino idians were known to settle in the vicinity of the rivers. Even though the "Cibuco" river is prone to floods due to heavy seasonal rains even to this day, the benefits given to the land by the river are numerous. The rich diversity of ocean life and reefs is evidence of how the nutrients provided by the "Cibuco" river are so beneficial.
Taino carvings have been found on the exposed reefs in the vicinity of the "Cibuco" river. Amongh these carvings, one depicting a face and others shaped as fish. They are an indication that these reefs were frequented for spear fishing and perhaps other day to day activities.
Vega Baja's flag consists of a yellow cloth, crossed by a green band. The band is relates to the fertile valley and the river.
 Coat of Arms
The Vega Baja Coat of Arms has a v-shape green band, with overlapping roses in silver and three oranges tress, with fruits in gold. In the superior part a five tower crown, silverplated with black and green. The main colors of the shield; green and gold are used traditionally in civic, scholastic and sport activities. The crown five tower indicates that the town holds the rank of Villa by Royal Real Decree
Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com