Make Us Your Puerto Rico Homepage!

Welcome to PuertoRicans.com

Bookmark and Share

Welcome to the town of

SAN GERMAN , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Sangermeños
Patron:
San Germán de Auxerre

The town of SAN GERMAN in Puerto Rico was founded in 1508 .
Estimated population as of 2006 is 37,485 .
The zipcode is 00683

Housing units : 14335
Area in square miles
Total area
54.51
Water area
0
Land area
54.51
Density per square mile of land area
Population
680.7
Housing units
263

 

The Wards (Barrios) are:

Ancones,Caín Alto, Caín Bajo, Cotui, Duey Alto, Duey Bajo, Guamá, Hoconuco Alto, Hoconuco Bajo, Maresúa, Minillás, Retiro, Rosarío Alto, Rosarío Bajo, Rosario Peñón, Sabana Eneas y Sabana Grande Abajo.

Location of SAN GERMAN in the Map of Puerto Rico

Town Information

San Germán (sahn her-MAHN) is a municipality located in the southwestern region of Puerto Rico, south of Mayagüez and Maricao; north of Lajas; east of Hormigueros and Cabo Rojo; and west of Sabana Grande. San Germán is spread over 18 wards and San Germán Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). San Germán is the second oldest city of Puerto Rico, after San Juan. The island of Puerto Rico was once split between the San Juan and the San German municipalities. The latter extended from a line from Arecibo in the north to Ponce in the south, westward to the sea.

Town History

There is evidence that the city of San Germán existed as far back as 1573. A letter sent to Spain's king Philip II talked about a city with the names of Nueva Salamanca and San Germán. Spanish conquerors used the name Nueva Salamanca to honor the city of Salamanca in Spain. On May 12, 1570, the Royal Audience of Santo Domingo (See Audiencia) ordered that both the populations of San Germán and Santa Maria de Guadianilla be merged into a single city due to the constant attacks. The new city would be built on the hills of Santa Marta, next to the Guanajibo River, on 1573. Its official name was Nueva Villa de Salamanca, named after the city of Salamanca, in Spain. However, the population would call the city San Germán el Nuevo (The New San Germán) and, eventually, the Villa de San Germán (The Village of San Germán) [edit] Flag Green - Colors of the Shield of Chistopher Columbus and his son, Viceroy of America. White - The purity of the blood of the great families who colonized San Germán. Violet - Color of the Shield of Juan Ponce de Leon, first governor of Puerto Rico. [edit] Coat of Arms First Quarter: A green field a royal gold castle. Second Quarter: The second quarter exhibits the arms of the kingdoms of Aragon and Sicily, where don Fernando the Catholic reigned. Third Quarter: In this quarter the arms combine with the County of Foix and the Kingdom of France, which constitute the family shields of Germana de Foix whose name perpetuates the city of San Germán. Fourth Quarter: Is Ponce de Leon's shield, The Crown: Is a civic or municipal standard and is used as a stamp for towns and cities, San Germán was assigned five towers to denote that this population formally obtained the title of city from the Spanish crown, in the last century. The actual city of San Germán originated around the same time as the colonization of Puerto Rico began. While the city itself was never located in the southern coast of the island, a statement commonly mentioned, but wrong, its history is closely tied with the town of Santa Maria de Guadianilla. The town was founded by order of Juan Ponce de León after a Taíno uprising on February 1511. This initial town was destroyed by French corsairs and the populace retreated inland. In November 1511, Juan Ponce de León handed over the governorship of Puerto Rico to Juan Cerón, lieutenant to Viceroy Diego Colón. Cerón ordered Miguel de Toro, a lieutenant of Juan Ponce de León, to create a "Christian township" on the western part of Boriquen, calling it San Germán. This town was established on December 1511 on the mouth of the Guaorabo River, near the area known today as Añasco. This town was attacked by French corsairs in August 1528, May 1538 and 1554. The construction of a small fort began on 1540, but work stopped on 1546, when the population of the town began moving inland. Even with the exodus of people, the port of Guaorabo was still used by those who left

Open tab links in browser window instead.

Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com