to the town of
MAYAGUEZ , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Nuestra Señora de La Candelaria
The town of MAYAGUEZ in Puerto Rico was founded in 1760
Housing units : 39364
Estimated population as of 2006 is 94,478
The zipcode is 00681
|Area in square miles
|Density per square mile of land area
The Wards (Barrios) are:
Algarrobo, Bateyes, Guanajibo, Juan Alonso, Leguísamo, Limón, Malezas, Mayaguez, Arriba, Miradero, Montoso, Naranjales, Quebrada Grande, Quemado, Río Cañas Abajo, Río Cañas Arriba, Río Hondo, Rosarío, Sábalos y Sabanetas.
Location of MAYAGUEZ
in the Map of Puerto Rico
Mayagüez (mah-yah-GWES) or [ma?a'gw?s] is the eighth-largest  municipality of Puerto Rico. Also known as "La Sultana del Oeste" (The Sultaness of the West) or "Ciudad de las Aguas Puras" (City of Pure Waters), Mayagüez is located in the western part of the island of Puerto Rico.
Its land area is 201.06 km² . The municipio has an estimated population of just over 100,000 spread over 21 wards (barrios) including Mayagüez Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). One of the wards is Isla de Mona e Islote Monito, which consists of the offshore islands of Mona Island and Monito Island. This is the largest ward by land area, and at the same time the only one without any permanent population. Also, uninhabited Desecheo Island is part of the municipal, as part of Sabanetas barrio.
Mayagüez is located 2 hours by automobile from San Juan.
The founding of Mayagüez was requested on July 19, 1760 by a group led by Faustino Martínez de Matos, Juan de Silva and Juan de Aponte, at a hill located about one kilometer inland from Mayagüez Bay and the outlet of the Yagüez River. It was officially founded on September 18, 1760. "Maygüex" was the indigenous name for this river (the word means "clear water" in the language of its original inhabitants, the Taíno). "Mayagüez" is a variation on this name, which means "Land of Clear Waters" and eventually gave the city its nickname. The Taínos had settled the area for hundreds of years before the town's founding, at the nearby settlement of Yagüeca (also spelled Yagüexa or Yaweka), which sits near a larger river, the Rio Grande de Añasco (originally named "Guaorabo"). A theory likening the name to a nahuatl term which translates into "Land of the Setting Sun" is unsubstantiated.
The Spanish Crown granted the founders the right to self-government in 1763, formally separating the town from the larger Partido de San Germán. Originally the settlement was named Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria de Mayagüez (Our Lady of the Candelaria of Mayagüez). Most of the town's settlers, including its founders, came originally from the Canary Islands, whose patron saint is the Virgin of Candlemas (Candelaria), hence the name.
In 1777, two American frigates, the Endowok and the Henry, took refuge on Mayagüez Bay as to evade attack from the British ship HMS Glasgow. The local government lent two Spanish flags to the American frigates as to disguise them as Spanish ships. After protesting unsuccessfully to the Spanish authorities, the captain of the Glasgow chose not to attack the ships and retired from the area.
Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com