Make Us Your Puerto Rico Homepage!

Welcome to PuertoRicans.com

Bookmark and Share

Welcome to the town of

LARES , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Lareños
Patron:
San José

The town of LARES in Puerto Rico was founded in 1827 .
Estimated population as of 2006 is 37,164 .
The zipcode is 00669

Housing units : 12060
Area in square miles
Total area
61.65
Water area
0.18
Land area
61.46
Density per square mile of land area
Population
559.9
Housing units
196.2

 

The Wards (Barrios) are:

Bartolo, Buenos Aires, Callejones, Espino, Lares, La Torre, Mirasol, Pezuela, Piletas y Río Prieto.

Location of LARES in the Map of Puerto Rico

Town Information

Lares (LAH-res) is a small mountain municipality of Puerto Rico's central-western area located north of Maricao and Yauco; south of Camuy, east of San Sebastián and Las Marias; and west of Hatillo, Utuado and Adjuntas. Lares is spread over 10 wards and Lares Pueblo (Downtown Lares). A city adorned with Spanish-era style churches and small downtown area stores, Lares is a breezy area that is about 1.5 hours from San Juan by car. Lares has one major claim to fame: The 1868 uprising that happened there, brought on by pro-independence rebels who wanted Puerto Rico to gain its freedom from Spain. The movement, known thereafter as El Grito de Lares (literally, The Cry of Lares, or Lares Revolt), was soon extinguished, making Lares the shortest lived republic ever.

Town History

Lares was founded in April 26, 1827 by Francisco de Sotomayor and Pedro Vélez Borrero. The city was named after one of its settlers, Don Amador de Lariz. [edit] Flag This flag is formed by a white Latin cross in the center. The width of the arms and base are equal to a third part of the latitude of the emblem. It has two quadrilaterals located above and two below the arms the cross. The superior (top) ones are blue and inferior (bottom) ones red. A five point white star is located in the center of the left superior (top) quadrilateral. [edit] Coat of Arms A white cross is centered on and extends across the shield from side to side and top to bottom; it has blue top quadrants and red bottom quadrants; it has a five pointed white star in the upper left quadrant. A chain that surrounds the shield. The Coat of Arms as described has positioned around it on a scroll and a ribbon in a semicircle the words: "Lares Ciudad del Grito." This constitutes the stamp of Lares and identifies unmistakably the municipality of Lares.

Open tab links in browser window instead.

Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com