Location of HORMIGUERO
in the Map of Puerto Rico
Hormigueros is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the western region of the island, northeast of Cabo Rojo; northwest of San Germán; and south of Mayagüez. Hormigueros is spread over 5 wards and Hormigueros Pueblo
Hormigueros was founded in 1874 by Gerardo Gonzalez. Hormigueros derives its name from a Taino Indian name: Horomico.
Folktale attributes the origin of the name to the topography of the municipality which resembles a gigantic anthill, reason why it was named: "Valle del Hormiguero" (anthill valley).
Hormigueros was formed from barrios that originally belonged to the nearby cities of Mayagüez and San Germán that surrounded the "Ermita de la Virgen de Monserrate", a shrine (and now [[minor basilica]]) dedicated to the Virgin of Montserrat. The church was erected in the mid-1700's in the site where, reportedly, a girl who had been lost for at least three days was found, safe, underneath an image of the Virgin Mary.
It consists of a blue cloth with a horizontal white rhombus. Superposed on the white rhombus there is another blue rhombus with a white globe outlined in blue with a cross.
 Coat of Arms
The shield is formed by a blue rhombus, with silver-plated edge. On the blue bottom, a green hill, a representation of Our Lady of Monserrate de Hormigueros' Sanctuary, with its silver stairway. The border appears to be splashed by black ants, ready, on guard symmetrically. On the top of the shield resides a crown formed by a wall, with three towers that have blue doors and windows. The joints of the stones are filled with blue lines. The shield is surrounded by two chains that begin at the crown and finish under the bottom part of the shield with the last links broken.
Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com