to the town of
ARECIBO , Puerto Rico
People are know as
San Felipe Apostol
The town of ARECIBO in Puerto Rico was founded in 1616
Housing units : 38974
Estimated population as of 2006 is 102,216
The zipcode is 00613
|Area in square miles
|Density per square mile of land area
The Wards (Barrios) are:
Arenalejos, Arrozal, Cambalache, Carreas, Domingo Ruiz, Dominguito, Esperanza, Factor, Hato Abajo, Hato Arriba, Hato Viejo, Garrochales, Islote, Miraflores, Río Arriba, Sabana Hoyos, Santana, Tanamá.
Location of ARECIBO
in the Map of Puerto Rico
Arecibo (ah-re-SEE-boh) is a municipality in the northern midwest coast of Puerto Rico and located by the Atlantic Ocean, north of Utuado and Ciales; east of Hatillo; and west of Barceloneta, and Florida. Arecibo is spread over 18 wards and Arecibo Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). Arecibo is located on the north coast of the island of Puerto Rico, about 80 kilometres (50 miles) west of San Juan, or approximately a 1-hour trip by car.
The nearby Arecibo Observatory is known for housing the world's largest radio telescope
Arecibo, settled in 1556, was the island's third Spanish settlement, after Caparra (which later became San Juan), and San German. It is named after the Taíno Cacique Xamaica Arasibo, who ruled the Taino yucayeke (town), then named Abacoa. Arecibo was officially founded as a city by the Spanish crown May 1 1616, under the governorship of Captain Felipe de Beaumont y Navarra, when the King of Spain granted the land (and the Tainos living there) to Lope Conchillos.
Arecibo is known as El Diamante Del Norte (North's Diamond) as well as La Ribera del Arecibo (The shore of Arecibo).
Arecibo is also known as La Villa del Capitán Correa (Captain Correa's Villa) after the Puerto Rican hero Captain Antonio de los Reyes Correa, who as a member of the Spanish Army defended Arecibo from a British invasion led by Admiral Whelstone in August 5 1702.
Arecibo is the head of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Arecibo.
The flag of Arecibo derives its composition and colors from the Shield of the City. It is divided vertically in two equal parts. The left side is blue having a belt that stands for "Captain Correa", a local military hero from Spanish times. The right side is made up of blue and yellow diamonds alternating in a checkerboard pattern.
 Coat of Arms
The shield is divided by diagonal lines in golden and blue rhombuses with a blue stripe in the superior part, in which resides an opened five-point crown and which is adorned with drawings characterizing the art of the Taínos. This combination of symbols represents the Indian Cacique (Chieftain) from whom the population's name derives, the governor that erected the town and the hero Captain Correa who defended it.
Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com