Make Us Your Puerto Rico Homepage!

Welcome to PuertoRicans.com

Bookmark and Share

Welcome to the town of

ADJUNTAS , Puerto Rico
People are know as
Adjunteños
Patron:
San Joaquín y Santa Ana

The town of ADJUNTAS in Puerto Rico was founded in 1735 .
Estimated population as of 2006 is 18,583 .
The zipcode is 00601

Housing units : 6715
Area in square miles
Total area
67.11
Water area
0.42
Land area
66.69
Density per square mile of land area
Population
287
Housing units
100.7

 

The Wards (Barrios) are:

Capaez ,Lago Garzas, Hormigueros ,Saltillo ,Juan Gonzales ,Vegas Arriba, Guayabo Dulce ,Vegas Abajo, Tanama ,Pellejas ,Portillo, Limani ,Yahuecas ,Guilarte ,Salsipuedes and Yayales

Location of ADJUNTAS in the Map of Puerto Rico

Town Information

Adjuntas (ahd-HOON-tahs), is a small mountainside town in Puerto Rico located central midwest of the island on the Central Mountain range (La Cordillera Central), north of Yauco, Guayanilla and Peñuelas; southeast of Utuado; east of Lares and Yauco; and west of Ponce. Adjuntas is spread over 16 wards and Adjuntas Pueblo (the downtown area and the administrative center of the city). Adjuntas is about two hours by car westward from the capital, San Juan. Adjuntas is nicknamed "the Switzerland of Puerto Rico", because of its relatively chilly weather. Many Puerto Rican mountain towns have colder weather than the rest of the island; Adjuntas is no exception: the average yearly weather is 72 degrees Fahrenheit. The cool weather attracts a good number of island tourists during the summer months. The town has a small hotel named Monte Rio and a good size parador, or country inn, called Villa Sotomayor.

Town History

Adjuntas was founded August 11, 1815, by Diego Maldonado, gaining administrative independence from Utuado. After the mid 1800s, Adjuntas welcomed many immigrants from the Mediterranean islands Corsica and Majorca. Some of them established coffee plantations. During the last decades of XIX century, the fine coffee produced in Adjuntas was exported to Europe, United States and even the Vatican. It was proclaimed "villa", or a first order municipality, by the Spanish Government Monarchy in 1894. Adjuntas was occupied by the United States Army forces during the Spanish American War of 1898 and was visited by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906. The discovery of rich deposits of copper, gold and other minerals during the 1960s, motivated some local community and environmental leaders to opposed the mining. By the 1990s, they convinced the Puerto Rican government to take a stand against the minning industry, on behalf of conservation. Today, instead of mining, with the leadership of Casa Pueblo, a community organization, Adjuntas leads the preservation of natural resources movement in Puerto Rico.

Open tab links in browser window instead.

Reference: Wikipedia.org / census.gov / mapquest.com